Fictitious Business Names
NEW ONLINE PORTAL FOR FICITIOUS BUSINESS NAME STATEMENTS
Use our new portal to complete your application before you come to the office or to search for existing Lake County Fictitious Business Name Statements!
Who must file
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (does not include surname in the company name).
- The statement must be filed in the county of principal place of business, and may also be filed in other counties as long as the requirements for filing in the county of principal place of business have been met.
- If filing a fictitious business name in the office, the individual filing the statement is required by law to show valid, government-issued identification.
- Be certain the information in the statement is correct and complete before filing it. You cannot make changes to the statement once it has been filed. Any changes would require the filing of a new statement, payment of the filing fees again, and publication in a newspaper in Lake County.
- When you file a fictitious business name statement, it does not reserve the name for your exclusive use. The filing is for consumer protection and is a requirement under Business and Professions Code Section 17900.
- The County Clerk's Office cannot refuse to file a fictitious business name statement because the name is already being used by someone else.
- If the business is owned by a Corporation or LLC, list the name of the Corporation on the LLC and its address as the Registered Owner.
- If there is a conflict between business owners using the same or similar names, it becomes a legal matter between the business owners.
- Your residence address (where you live) must be listed under the registrant information. If the registrant is a corporation/LLC, an address (not PO Box) and the State of Incorporation/Organization must be listed.
- All information contained in the statement is a public record, including your residence address. Anyone can purchase copies of the statement.
- All original filings as well as new filings with a change in facts from the previous must be published. The statement must be published in an adjudicated newspaper, once per week for four consecutive weeks. The first publication must begin within thirty days of the date the statement was filed in the County Clerk's Office. A list of newspapers is available from our office.
- The proof of publication will be sent to the County Clerk's office by the newspaper that you choose to publish with.
- The statement is valid for five years from the date it is filed in the County Clerk's Office unless there is a change in any information (except the registered owner's address). A change requires a new statement to be filed within 40 days of the change. The new statement would also need to be published.
- If you have any questions regarding the filing of your fictitious business name statement, please call 707-263-2311 or come to our office at 255 N Forbes Street, 2nd Floor, Lakeport, CA 95453.
- Come to the Lake County Clerk's Office (255 N Forbes St, Lakeport, CA 95453)
- Call 707-263-2311 and ask us to mail you the Fictitious Business Name Statement Form (PDF)
- Use the online portal: Fictitious Business Name Statement Application
- File within 40 days of the business start date
- Owner must sign (corporate officer if corporation; manager or officer if limited liability company)
- Street address of the principal place of business and county must be listed (corporation/LLC must include an address and State of incorporation/organization
- If a Corporation or Limited Liability Corporation, a copy of your articles must be with you or a copy attached at the time of filing.
- All owners and their residence addresses must be listed
- Filed copy of the statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in an adjudicated newspaper in Lake County, currently, the only approved local paper is the Lake County Record-Bee
- Publication must begin within 45 days of filing
File by Mail
- Complete the form and sign it
- Mail to:
County of Lake
County Clerk-Auditor Controller
255 N Forbes St
Lakeport, CA 95453
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your filed forms
- Include your payment made payable to "Lake County Clerk"
- The filing does not reserve the name - it is for consumer protection purposes only
- Filing is good for 5 years if no changes are made
- Any change except the owner's residence address requires refiling and republication within 40 days of the change
- Name must be abandoned if no longer in business by filing a statement of abandonment, paying a $40 fee, and publication - Statement of Abandonment Form (PDF) or use the online portal: Statement of Abandonment
|One business name with no more than two owners
|Each additional business name included on the same statement
|Each additional owner after the first two
|Abandonment of DBA or withdrawal of a partner